Asthma is a chronic lung condition that inflames and narrows the large and small airways of the lungs, making it difficult to breathe.
When an asthma attack occurs, the lining of the air passages swell and the muscles surrounding the airways become tight, reducing the amount of air that can pass through the airway.
Asthma attacks can last for minutes to days and can become dangerous if the airflow is severely blocked.
- A cough with or without sputum production
- Pulling in the skin between the ribs when breathing
- Shortness of breath that gets worse with activity or exercise
Emergency Symptoms that need prompt medical help:
- Bluish color to the lips and face
- Decreased level of alertness, such as drowsiness or confusion, during an asthma attack
- Extreme difficulty breathing
- Rapid pulse
- Severe anxiety due to shortness of breath
If you think you may have the signs or symptoms of asthma and would like an evaluation, please contact our office to set up an evaluation with Dr. Giaimo.